||Asbestos is a mineral fiber that
has been used commonly in a variety of building construction materials
for insulation and as a fire-retardant. Inhaling microscopic asbestos
fibers can cause significant health problems including lung cancer.
of today’s products do not contain asbestos. If asbestos material is
more than slightly damaged or you plan changes that might disturb it,
you require a professional for repair and removal.
||Lead is a highly toxic metal
used for many years in products in and around homes. Lead’s adverse
health effects range from behavioral problems and learning disabilities
to seizures and death.
Homes built before 1986 are more likely to
have lead pipes, joints, and solder. New homes are also at risk: even
legally “lead-free” pipes can contain up to 8 percent lead and leave
significant amounts of lead in the water for the first several months
||Mold may begin growing indoors
when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. Molds produce
allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances.
much exposure to mold may cause conditions such as asthma, hay
fever, or other allergies. Fevers and breathing problems in a
vulnerable individual are possible but unusual. When moldy material
becomes damaged or disturbed, spores, which are reproductive bodies
similar to seeds, can be released into the air. Exposure can occur if
people inhale the spores, directly handle moldy material, or
accidentally ingest the spores. Since all molds need water to grow,
mold can grow almost anywhere where there is high humidity, dampness,
or water damage.
is a naturally occurring radioactive gas found in soils, rock, and
water throughout the U.S. Radon causes lung cancer, and is a threat to
health because it tends to collect in homes, sometimes to very high
It cannot be detected by the senses and can be
confirmed only by sophisticated instruments and laboratory tests. The
gas enters a house through pores and cracks in the concrete or through
floorboards of poorly ventilated crawlspaces, especially when wet
ground allows the gas to escape easily through the soil and disperse in
insects and organisms such as termites, wood-boring beetle larvae, wood
wasps & horntails, and carpenter ants are a concern in any home
with a wooden structure or components. Failure to properly identify and
deal with the presence of wood destroying insects
can lead to damage to the wooden components of the house resulting
in an unsafe structure requiring the need for expensive repairs.